Aphasia, what is it?

What is Aphasia?
I bet you thought I would forget about followup on this thread! grin

Aphasia is an impairment of language, affecting the production or comprehension of speech and the ability to read or write. Aphasia is always due to injury to the brain-most commonly from a stroke, particularly in older individuals. But brain injuries resulting in aphasia may also arise from head trauma, from brain tumors, or from infections.

Aphasia can be so severe as to make communication with the patient almost impossible, or it can be very mild. It may affect mainly a single aspect of language use, such as the ability to retrieve the names of objects, or the ability to put words together into sentences, or the ability to read. More commonly, however, multiple aspects of communication are impaired, while some channels remain accessible for a limited exchange of information.

It is the job of the professional to determine the amount of function available in each of the channels for the comprehension of language, and to assess the possibility that treatment might enhance the use of the channels that are available.

Below you can find more information on the different types of aphasia such as Global, Broca’s, Wernicke’s, Primary Progressive, Anomic, and Mixed Non-fluent aphasia.

Aphasia like real-estate is all about specific location. Many conditions can cause damage in different locations in the many areas of the brain involved with speech. Specific lesions in Broca's speech area in the frontal lobe cortex of the dominant hemisphere give syndromes with similarities, but of course vary considerably with the amount of damage. I wonder where my Broca's area is, as my grandfather switched me from a lefty to a righty, so which hemisphere is dominant? I hope I dont find out the hard way. These various aphasia syndromes are well described, and modalities for treating them have been evaluated.
There has been much interest in the unexpected plasticity of neurons to develop work-arounds to damaged areas that restore lost functions. We used to think that recovery of some functions were due to resolution of edema and inflammation, but now we recognize that even old neurons are smarted than we thought and can regenerate or at least re-groove and learn new tricks.

TAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 11/09/21 03:40 AM.

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit