Light Red Kidney Beans

Adding to the confusion and ambeanuity are these Light Red Kidney Beans that I carefully selected from my beaner stash as they were smaller and more likely to cook quickly than the only other colored choice Red Kidney Beans,
Red Kidney Beans
which were larger and redder. I also had white northern beans, but I thought they would not have a nice color contrast with the rice, though brown, not white on rice. I failed to consider another contrast option, white beans on black rice, kind of a reverse of Ebony on Ivory, which was never well received in Southern cuisine.

I rinsed them minimally, and covered them in my aluminum pressure cooker (a weddding gift) with about 2 inches of water with a generous rounded teaspoon of MSG and a similar amount of salt. I brought them immediately to jiggling temp for 2 minutes, and turned off the stove and left them on the glass non-induction cooktop that has considerable latent heat, and left them there for an hour or so. I was going to go with gas in the kitchen remodel but ran out of time to run a gas line, and didnt want to rush it cause what could go worng with a hasty gas job and no permit for it? The beans could have used another 1/2 of water but were almost done, and did take up most of the MSG brine, which was the experiment da jour. All they needed was a 30 min simmer with the other ingredients. I did NOTpour off the bean broth or sell it to Vegans.
We can discuss bean pressure cooking that is a real time savor particularly with added MSG. I rarely plan far enough ahead of time to soak beans overnight, and after doing the quick boil and rest for an hour before pressure cooking, I though I would try this way and it worked. Some beans, like chickpeas, need more time to soften their peafowl consistency grin
TAT

Last edited by TatumAH; 11/20/21 12:12 AM.

There's nothing wrong with thinking
Except that it's lonesome work
sevil regit