Long Covid is going to be a major drag on our productivity and health care spending for a long time, unless somebody comes up with a cure. But some aspects of it like ischemic damage to organs may be irreversible short of something like stem cell regrowth of the damaged organs. And even then, growing new kidney cells may be great, but regrowing your damaged brain will change who you are a bit, The very good news is doctors report very few Long Covid cases among the vaccinated who get reinfected. (A very good reason to get vaccinated.)

Corona viruses have been with us since we have existed. Some are adapted to other mammals, some to many mammals. The four that previously infected humans probably were just as lethal to begin with. What changed is not those viruses. It's our immune systems. We have coevolved to respond well to corona virus infections, even new spillovers from other animals and new antibody-resistant variants. SARS-COV2 kills mostly old people, and in the past centuries that did not matter since all those people would have already been dead from other illnesses. We now have antibiotics and vaccines that extend our lifespans beyond their "design parameters".

What will most likely happen is most people will gain enough T and B-cell immunity to be affected by Covid infection as a minor annoyance. Just like the common colds caused by the four other human corona viruses. Probably MERS as well.

As for "super transmission ability" claims for Omicron (and every earlier variant), I doubt them. Those are based on epidemiological data like spread rate, but a major factor in Rt is human behavior. If people decide they are tired of PPE and distancing, and get together in big indoor gatherings, Rt will shoot up. If they all did what they have been told about not spreading the virus. it would drop to zero. Transmissibility among the vaccinated has also been overstated because some studies equated PCR detection of RNA fragments with shedding of infectious virus. Later studies looked for live virus, and found much less for a much shorter period. So vaccination does cut transmission to about 2 days.

Vaccine effectiveness against infection contracts for almost everything (except HPV for some unknown reason), but vaccine effectiveness against serious illness and death does not assuming you have a functional immune system. The problem is that as you age, your immune system degrades. We also have quite a few individuals who are immunosuppressed for various medical reasons. No vaccine can give you antibodies if you have no B-cells. But that's not a death sentence: Even people with no B-cells and thus no antibodies have activated T-Cells from exposure to infection or vaccination.

It's not a public health failure to say you don't have to wear a mask if vaccinated, if the consequence is getting a Corona cold. You should, if you want to avoid that cold. That's why I do, and why I got a booster. I don't want that cold. The best evidence for this idea is all these unvaxxed people who are dying, and all the vaxxed people saying they just tested positive with few or no symptoms.

Educating anyone benefits everyone.