Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
I know, "profit" is a dirty word. But the people promoting public health policies have very little connection with vaccine makers profits. I think vaxvaxvax because vaccination is the most successful thing we have. In the last two years, people have spent all of maybe 6 hours to get vaccinated two or three times, and it keeps almost all of them from getting seriously ill, from dying, or from getting Long Covid. Nothing else takes less time and is so successful, by far. On the other hand, people get tired of isolating after several thousand hours. They get tired of wearing masks every time they are out of the house, some for hours a day being essential workers. They get tired of staying six feet apart. They get tired of never getting together with family. So they take calculated risks, and sometimes that doesn't work out the way they wanted.

People who are vaccinated can't get tired of that protection and take a risk to do without it. Antibody levels contract naturally, but T and B-cell memory remains.

As for the aerosol vrs droplet question: If smaller aerosol particles travel deep into the lungs, and aerosol is the major route of SARS-COV2 infection, then why are so many infections asymptomatic or occurring in the nose? Simple: Most infections are through droplets, that primarily stop in your nose. Deep lung infections are present in about 1% of SARS-COV2 infections.

Well, first off, the administration did reverse itself from vax plus to vax only. I know it’s memory holed by most upper classes butBiden ran on bringing the pnandemic under control with vaccines, NPI’s and robust testing/tracing. I’m trying to think of anything he hasn’t gone back on since being elected that he ran on. A good roundup of the evolution of The Biden admin:

“ How did we get in a situation where a Democratic president — who ran, in part, against Trump’s horrid pandemic response — is letting the virus rip? How did we get to a point where a key organizer of the Great Barrington Declaration, a right-wing libertarian campaign opposed to public health measures, has stated that Republican and Democratic states alike have adopted policies in line with their philosophy? As hospitals fill up around the country, why are political leaders doing nothing to at least try to ‘flatten the curve’?”

https://jmfeldman.medium.com/a-year-in-how-has-biden-done-on-pandemic-response-88452c696f2

As far as there being no profit connection between pharma, government and regulatory agencies-GTFOH!

40 years of opiates unleashed on the American public has trashed any thinking on the integrity or morals of institutions that helped facilitate that addiction epidemic. But it was good times for the investor classes in much the same way as it was good times for the east India Co. shareholders during the subjugation and addiction transformation of the Chinese in the late 1800’s.

Hows the stock doing for companies doing the vaccines?

Here’s one answer:

“ While the process of science and the products it yields are noble, science for outrageous profit that costs people their lives is not noble. That is why I can no longer in good conscience be part of Moderna’s trials, and I urge other Moderna trial participants to resign as well. We allowed Moderna to test its experimental vaccine and booster on us in order to help end this pandemic, not to make more pharma billionaires.”

Confessions of a ‘human guine...?m resigning from Moderna vaccine trials

Breaking it down in simple terms for you:
Production of ruling classes produces ruling class ideas which, in turn, produce ruling class policies.
We’re a rightwing capitalist society. All policies are in support of that. The two iron answers from neoliberalism are:

1. Cuz markets!
2. Go die!

Soooo. Fluid mechanics are the primary function of where a pathogens point of entry is determined? The virus has no agency in the process and the upper and lower respiratory tracks are the same base line with regard to immune defense? There’s no fit for purpose with the virus’ infection pathology?
By that questionable reasoning any plane that hits a mountain has a flight path determined by its impact elevation. If it hits high, it’s flight path duration was always high. If it hits lie, it’s flight path was always low. Ok. It’s a rational I suppose. Still…Omicron seems to be taking up residence in the bronchial airways. If I apply your fluid mechanics, infection site rational, why is it locating there and not moving into the deeper lung tissues?

You also can’t square the circle with well documented super spreading events with droplet theory.
The same way you can’t argue the current policies of the administration have done anything to control the virus spread with their vax only policies.

Frankly, the intransigence of the PMC class in its inability to understand reality was well described in this Bourdieusian analysis in their failure to form a coherent strategy towards mitigation. Very similar in the PMC classes politics, it’s about being in charge and having good intentions not about getting results or understanding anything beyond their realm of influence:

“.. with medical scientific orthodoxy which promoted the droplet theory of transmission and considered aerosol transmission unproven or of doubtful relevance. This dominant scientific sub-field centred around the clinical discipline of infectious disease control, in which leading actors were hospital clinicians aligned with the evidence-based medicine movement. Aerosol scientists—typically, chemists, and engineers—representing the heterodoxy were systematically excluded from key decision-making networks and committees. Dominant discourses defined these scientists’ ideas and methodologies as weak, their empirical findings as untrustworthy or insignificant, and their contributions to debate as unhelpful.”

Bourdieusian analysis of infection control science in the COVID-19 pandemic

Not like we ever see these types at the rant…