First of all, taxpayers are not paying anyones debts. Most loans are over $10K. The interest is 9% and has been for three decades and never once adjusted down even when interest rates were at zero. At best, the government will cancel $10K in interest.

The loans will still be owed as most loans average $35K in principle.

It’s sad that when the government helps poor and minority folks - it’s called a handout and people are outraged; yet the government helps white people like farmers - it’s called a subsidy,

I would prefer my student loan to be reset at a lower interest rate, all accumulated interest removed. so that I can begin paying down the principle - which I have never been able to do. I’ve paid close to $15K on my loan and never once did one dollar ever go to the principle. The principle is exactly the same amount today as it was when I left college. THAT’s a problem.

Interest is free money on a loan to the loan maker, ie the government in this instance. How are tax payers paying on that? They’re not. It’s just hyperbole and majority are pissed that poor folks and minorities are finally getting some break.

Contrarian, extraordinaire