I think I like the idea of P.G. Wodehouse's Jeeves novels more than I like the books themselves. I had tried one of them—no idea which—some years ago, and day before yesterday I finished The Code of the Woosters. It was terribly British, as one would expect, and I enjoy Wodehouse's style, which is heavy on dialogue. That in turn made me think he'd adapt well to the stage, and I remembered that the last time I was in New York a musical farce based on the Jeeves novels was playing. I had wanted to see it, but it might have closed even before my brief visit ended. Music was by Andrew Lloyd Weber and when Bertie Wooster says, "By Jove, Jeeves (page 177), all I could think of was what a wonderful chorus those three words would have made. I'll hoping someone will revive the idea. Come on. It's not that farfetched a desire. Sondheim's Assassins, the musical about people who have assassinated US presidents, was revived and its first opening was greeted with jeers and laughter. By Jove, a Jeeves musical could hardly have done worse.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!