I have a question to pose to Martha and her friends who read this site. It involves whether I should continue reading a book I have started.

I purchased Patricia Cornwall's newest Kate Scarpetta novel. I used to love to read her books. Her heroine is a strong, independent, self-sufficient woman.

I know there is horrible sadism in the world. The first two pages of this new book describes a sadist toying with his victim. She is in a freezing vat of ice water and her nipples are puckered....o.k., the mention of pouty or puckered nipples is usually a deal-breaker for me. I just think it is so gratituous.

How can an author who is not a sadist think up such unspeakable events and then write them down? And how will I feel about myself if I continue to read this creepy stuff.

I stopped reading a paper back a short while ago because it had a grusome beginning chapter. Mr. BamaMama said that actually the rest of the book wasn't in that vein and he actually enjoyed the story.

Should I make myself get past these first pages to find out what the Scarpetta clan is up to?

Kathy Albers

Last edited by BamaMama; 11/13/07 04:49 AM.

Where ever you go, there you are!