Should I make myself get past these first pages to find out what the Scarpetta clan is up to?

I'm going to presume a bit, and comment.

Kathy, I don't think anyone can really answer that question (should I read this) except you.

About a year ago I got snagged by some AM Homes short stories, and decided to read her longer stuff. That included a book called "The End of Alice," which was one of the most disturbing books I've ever read. According to the Library Journal on Amazon.com, "Homes's purpose seems to be to force the reader into a kind of Dostoevskian identification with the blackest and most perverse elements of human nature."

It did that, and I learned something from reading it - although whether I could ever put what I learned into words, I don't know, and if I did know, I doubt I'd tell anyone. I doubt I'll ever read it again.

I think, for me, the line gets drawn in part by the intent of the author - is s/he trying to entertain me/make money, or is s/he working on a more literary basis, is there some element of art, and is it one that interests me?

I will not read grotesqueries (is that a word?) that are poorly written. I will not read them if their intent is to entertain, because I'm not entertained. In short, I have to have a good reason to read disturbing material...but whether my reasons would come anywhere near yours, I don't know.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad