The USPS verified delivery of my 11-20-07 FOIPA Request (EB 390622106 US) on 11-21-07 addressed to the Special Agent in Charge FBI Jacksonville Field Office. Because of contradictory and inconsistent instructions, I filed two earlier FOIPA Requests: one with FBI HQ (Request No.: 1091663-000) and one with the Jacksonville FBI Field Office (Request No.: 1095794-000). In response to my FBI HQ FOIPA Request, David M. Hardy, FBI HQ Section Chief, wrote in his 9-21-07 letter: “To promptly respond to requests, we concentrate on identifying main files in the central records system at FBI Headquarters. No records responsive to your FOIPA requests were located by a search of the automated and manual indices. If you desire a search of the Field Office files, you must contact the appropriate Field Office.” Incidentally, the FBI tells you to contact the Field Office for a search of their files, which I did.

As stated above, I filed a FOIPA Request with the Jacksonville Field Office at the same time that I filed one with FBI HQ. Since I hadn’t received a reply to my Jacksonville FOIPA, I phoned the Jacksonville Special Agent In Charge regarding its status. The secretary transferred me to the person who handles these requests. He said that he had handled them up until some one else who handled them but left the FBI and he’s handling them again. He told me that he would look for my letter and get back to me. On 11-5-07, he got back to me and said that he forwarded my letter to FBI HQ and FBI HQ would reply and that he doesn’t have a clue as to what’s going on. When FBI HQ didn’t reply within an additional 20 working days (up and above the time my FOIPA already sat in Jacksonville, FL), I filed an appeal on 10-24-07 with the DOJ based on the fact that the FBI Jacksonville Field Office didn’t reply to my request within the statutory period.
On 11-19-07, I received a reply from David M. Hardy, Section Chief, FBI HQ to my Jacksonville FOIPA (remember earlier when Mr. Hardy instructed me to contact Jacksonville?) who wrote in 11-7-07 letter: To promptly respond to requests, we concentrate on identifying main files in the central records system at the Jacksonville Field Office. No records responsive to your FOIPA request were located by a search of the automated and manual indices.

Simple and obvious question: Why is Mr. Hardy responding to my FBI Jacksonville Field Office FOIPA Request?

If you’ve been paying attention and following this, Mr. Hardy’s statement sounds silly, but I may be unduly cynical or harsh in my criticism. So I filed my 11-20-07 FOIPA Request (USPS# EB 390622106 US), which requested the following:

1) Any and all records and my communications and correspondence, including letters, faxes, telephone calls, and emails, to the FBI Jacksonville Field Office, the FBI Jacksonville Special Agent In Charge, and the FBI Jacksonville Civil Rights Supervisor regarding my letter (EXPRESS MAIL #EB 401574474 US) charging the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and Holmes County Sheriff’s Department with illegal electronic surveillance and harassment.
2) I am requesting a copy of any Jacksonville FBI documents, notes, memos, and records attached or associated with my correspondence.
3) I am requesting a copy of any and all records including logs, daily activity/time sheets, memos, intake forms, notes, saved emails and recorded phone conversations, quality control records, and processing records pertaining to any and all of my communications and correspondence to the FBI Jacksonville Field Office regarding my charges of illegal electronic surveillance and harassment by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and the Holmes County Sheriff’s Department.
4) I am requesting a complete and thorough search of all the FBI Jacksonville Field Office’s, FBI Jacksonville Special Agent In Charge’s, and FBI Jacksonville Civil Rights Supervisor’s files, including personal files and records and any other files that may not appear in the central records systems at the Jacksonville Field Office, for any record, note, memo or reference to my complaint charging the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) and Holmes County Sheriff’s Department with illegal electronic surveillance and harassment.
5) I am requesting a copy of any records, notes, and memos of any Jacksonville FBI Field Office telephone calls or other communications to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and/or Holmes County Sheriff’s Department, and/or any other agency by Agent Chris (no last name provided) with whom I spoke on June 1, 2007 and/or any other Agent or FBI personnel to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement and/or Holmes County Sheriff’s Department, and/or any other agency regarding my charges of illegal electronic surveillance and harassment by the FDLE and Holmes County Sheriff’s Department from the time period June 1, 2007 to November 20, 2007.
6) Copy of any records, notes, and/or memos of receipt, intake, and processing of my complaint charging the FDLE and Holmes County Sheriff’s Department with illegal electronic surveillance and harassment.
7) Copy of any records, notes, and/or memos of receipt, intake, and associating of my supplemental evidence envelope (EXPRESS MAIL #EB 032491235 US) with my complaint charging the FDLE and Holmes County Sheriff’s Department with illegal electronic surveillance and harassment.
8) Copy of FBI Agent’s case file regarding my charges of illegal electronic surveillance by the FDLE, Holmes County Sheriff’s Department, and/or any other agency, and the Agent’s Report of Investigation. If my case was not assigned for review or investigation, I am requesting any records, notes, and memos as to why my complaint was not assigned for investigation or if review is still pending.
9) Copy of FBI and FBI Jacksonville Field Office policies and manuals regarding receipt, intake, review, and any time period in which complaint must be reviewed, acceptance, rejection, and assignment or closure of a complaint charging police misconduct, abuse, and violation of civil rights.

According to my congresscritter, the Honorable Jeff Miller (MOC) the FBI may not even get back to me because of "privacy." Whose privacy? Mine? I think that like the rest of this Administration which he has consistently supported he's full of beans.

My simple question to the Jacksonville FBI Special Agent In Charge: What's the status of my complaint charging the FDLE and Holmes County Sheriff's Department with illegal electronic surveillance? Is there a basis to my charges or isn't there?

Subject: Joseph Michael Keegan