whoo hoo. Martha.....A book got moved from the bottom to the top of the shelf!!! rah! rah! You've got to learn to eat dessert along with the meal like my mama taught me to do. I still get the "look" from waitresses when I asked for the key lime pie to be served right along with the fried chicken.

Now, Martha did you see the sentence at the beginning of the book that makes one think the outcome might be a little darker than the ending even turned out to be?

After Mr. BamaMama read the book, I asked him the question and he replied that yes he remembered the sentence and right that moment he turned to the book on the bedside table and found and read it out loud.

That was indeed a trick in foreshadowing. Only after finishing the book and finding the sentence to re-read did we see the possible use of a metaphor that while reading encourages the reader to think it is the real thing.

I repeat -- Yea Martha! Love you moved "T" up the line.

I got four books from my son -- all great books. He buys me books I ought to read. I knew they would be good books but reading some good books is like eating vegetables. I know they are good for me and are satisfying after I've finished them, but I'd much rather go for the fried chicken and key lime pie.

Anyway I started THE ALCHEMIST and already on page 10 I know why it became an instant classic. GREAT BOOK. However, I put it down and then began DRESS YOUR FAMILY IN CORDUROY AND DENIM. That is a book that I can dig into. Stories that delve into the humor of family life are all different but strangly familiar and alike -- we all have those moments of total wackiness in our coming of age years within our core upbringing. In the South we bring these people and moments into the parlor to share and do not keep them in the closet hidden. I'll have to see where is David Sedaris' place of childhood.

Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!