I received a book for Christmas called "Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish" by Mark R. Levin.

Every day since then, the person who gave me the book has asked me if I have finished it yet. Well I can now answer, "Yes."

I had a few questions: Who the hell is Mark Levin and how did my friend find out about this book and decide to give it to me?

Rescuing Sprite is the story of a radio talk show host who lives his life in a house that overlooks the Potomac on the Virginia side. He brought a puppy home for his family that they named Pepsi. The family enjoyed Pepsi so much, they searched a rescue agency to find a friend for Pepsi and, henceforth, Sprite came to live with them.

They found the dog that they instantly fell in love with was no spring chicken (3-6 years old) but a much older dog. Almost immediately the dog's health declined until he had to be put down.

It is a sad story. Isn't almost every story of animal trust and loss sad?

I thought "Sprite" was a terribly written book; not worthy of someone who makes a living in a communications business. I thought it was self-indulgent. The man was grieving for his pet. He didn't need to make ME grieve also. I have enough on my plate, thank you!

Finally the answer was given as to how this book had come to the attention of my friends. They are Limbaughmaniacs. It seems Mr. Levin happens to be best friends with Rush, Laura, and Sean; however, politics in no way spills into this book.

Oh yes, another link: Levin's wife attended the wedding of her sister Ashley in Huntsville, AL and Levin's daughter Lauren goes to school in Tuscaloosa.

I am sorry such a good dog as Sprite died. I am sorry whenever anyone grieves. I think this offering should have been a diary and not a published book. I can see no purpose for this book. It didn't even cause me to think to myself as I do when I read many journals, "I can top that." I don't want to top it.

The only reason I would ask anyone to read this book is so that someone could validate my feeling about how poorly written a book this is. The author tells a story with all the proper requirements but he flies off on tangents on a whim.

The prime example of that is when he describing walking his two dogs and a child's pet gets hit by a car. Off he takes in his writing to proclaim how he rescues this hurt animal. Then he goes back to the story of his own pets and we never hear about the other animal ever again.

Phhhfffaaaattttt. Now I can say I read the damn book and even make references to the connections to PROVE it.

Respectfully,

Kathy Albers

Where ever you go, there you are!