Well, I finished Supercapitalism by Robert Reich, and I highly recommend it. It gives insight into the realities of economic developments of the latter half of the 20th century that I found very compelling. It is non-judgmental regarding the growth of corporate influence, but clear-eyed with regard to its corrosive effect on democracy. He shows he understands the imperatives of the market and presents sound solutions for how to combat its influence on our democratic institutions. It will not be everyone's cup of tea, as it is an economic treatise, but it is far more readable than the typical economics text, and it is well researched and cogently argued.

I am now reading Barack Obama's The Audacity of Hope. I have only gotten through the opening chapters at this juncture, but it provides a background for understanding his campaign, his hopes, his aspirations, and his strategy for governance. I now understand why his speeches are less substantive than critics assert (although that is not a narrative that I subscribe to), and I have grown to respect him even more as a result. It is a very readable text, and he has as much a flair for the written as the spoken word. So far it is answering so many questions about him and his campaign that I am sorry I had not read it before. It is also on my recommended list.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich