Just finished one of those books that I have been reading alongside lighter fare -- Revolutionary Characters by Gordon S. Wood. Taken together with another work by him that I read a couple years ago, The Radicalism of the American Revolution it presented a very in depth analysis of our nation's founding.

Revolutionary Characters gives a reader biographies of many of the most important men who played instrumental roles in those early years. Some of the information presents a view of many that is significantly at variance from popular mythology. More often the individual founders take on quite different personalities than I had ever read of before.

Again, taken together, this view of America's earliest years debunks many myths and often is substantially at variance to some of the characterizations of "original intent" now put forward by conservative pundits.

Both books are exceptionally well written and although dense with information, with some patience will reveal an America you may never have encountered before.

Highly recommended reading.

Life is a banquet -- and most poor suckers are starving to death -- Auntie Mame
You are born naked and everything else is drag - RuPaul