I have a multi-media treat to announce. Weeks ago I purchased "Bringing Down the House" for my husband. It was such an old book that I think I bought an old-old copy on Amazon for $.01. He thoughly enjoyed the book.

A few nights ago, he came charging upstairs to tell me that (I believe it was The History Channel) was broadcasting a documentary called, "Breaking Vegas." GREAT DOCUMENTARY. I learned that probably the best collective information of the three media events I have now experienced was from this documentary. I hope any of you with any interest in math, human physchology, history, the mob, now corporate run caseno's, or just pure fun will try to see a re-run of "Breaking Vegas."

Today Mr. BamaMama and I saw "Twenty-one" at the cinema complex. Martha will have a field day if she reads the book first, seeing the documentary and then watches the movie; because the movie does take license with the facts.

I was, at first, off-put when I saw the movie veering from the facts. After the movie ended, however, I forgave all.

I am more drawn to the subject of gambling, card counting, and MIT than many because I married into a family who carries the "card" gene. All of my husband's siblings and he carry this uncanny "card" gene. Thank heavens, only one of the four might have a slight gambling problem and he has a wife who keeps that under control most of the time. This b-i-l has risked things on stocks, inventions, time-share dealing. You name it - he has tried it -- BUT I DISGRESS.

My husband is the brightest of the bunch so added to his card gene is his mathematical ability to count cards. Then, he is also a graduate of MIT. MIT is the school that recruits the teams that still to this day are organizing to try to "break Vegas."

The movie is a romp. Kevin Spacey does his usual bang-up job. I loved living the high life vicarously throught the MIT kids. Some things I would NEVER EVER do in real life, but media gives me almost that life experience.

My husband actually saw a glimpse of where his Fraternity House stood. With real estate as high as it is, I don't know of DU is still in the same place in 2008 as it was in 1965. He could point out the Boston Commons and other sites, so that was fun for him.

The main character of the book in an interview says that he has a 4.0 as a senior at MIT. Mr. BamaMama said perhaps the school is now on a 4-point scale but when he was in school a 4.0 would have only been a "B" average. I don't know if this wasn't researched, if the grading scale has changed, or if it were a mistake if it were intentional because most people recognize a 4.0 as an "A" average, which was the message that the movie wanted the viewer to receive.

I've got to go watch Ebert and Roeper which I have recorded to see what kind of review this movie received from them. For me it was an A+.

If you want to have some fun, do all three -- read the book first, see the documentary, and then catch the flick. -- In that order.

Mr. BamaMama said he can now reveal where he was on all those trips when I thought he was going to LA. I asked him, "Then why was I the one who was always getting "beat up" by life?"

Respectfully,

Kathy Albers

Where ever you go, there you are!