Usually when I read and review The Best American Something series, it's easy. I can say some were good, some were less good and let it go at that. It's not that easy with The Best American Short Stories 2007. First off, the guest editor was Stephen King and I guess when he's around, nothing can be usual. Second, I read his introduction and he absolutely raved about a short story entitled "Where Will You Go When Your Skin Cannot Contain You?" by a William Gay. Sadly enough, it had been the one story in this year's Best American Mystery Stories that I absolutely hated. I didn't hold out much hope for the rest of King's selections. But, boy, was I wrong. Four or five of them blew me away, left me with that it's-time-to-try-short-stories-for-the-literary-magazines-again feeling. Shazam! I even dog-eared pages. Let's see if what grabbed me then still captures me.

The first story that really impressed me was "My Brother Eli" by Joseph Epstein. Eli is a successful novelist who believes his talent exempts him from common courtesy. Believe it or not, I run into that thinking a lot in community theatre people. (Kathy does too, but she's a lot more tolerant than I am.) I find it unfathomable that anyone who scores a success in the arts in Huntsville, AL, can think he is thus "above" anyone else. But it happens. So when I read the following paragraph, I cheered. The narrator in the story is talking to one of Eli's many wives and she says: "Your brother thinks that because he's an artist he can do what he wants, hurt people whenever he likes. Everything is justified by his books. As an astronomer, I don't think Eli knows how small, how truly insignificant, he really is. Maybe someday he'll find out." (page 101) If only all people of that ilk would find out. Even Paris Hilton and—dare I say it?—George W. Bush.

In "Wait" by Roy Kesey a group of people are stranded at an airport as they wait for an international flight. On the second day, in an effort to combat boredom, they organize an Olympiad. Doing so does not go smoothly. "…the Americans want baseball, the Russians want volleyball, the Chinese want table tennis, and all are disappointed. The upper-lower-middle-class locals suggest that children ride their parents for the equestrian events. Synchronized swimming is exchanged for synchronized walking; water polo becomes carpet polo, and archery is replaced with Throw the Ball into the Garbage Can from Increasingly Great Distances. Winter events are ignored until the Norwegians threaten to boycott; then babies in strollers are called bobsledders." (page 201) Apparently one way to Stephen King's heart is through his funny bone. The humor continues as the characters plan an escape. Everyone can help. Everyone is an expert, a claim culminating, when a mechanic is needed, with "my brother is a trained philosopher but has worked in a gas station." (page 203) I laughed out loud.

In "Findings & Impressions" by Stellar Kim a radiologist works hard not to form an attachment to a woman recently diagnosed with cancer. The radiologist's wife, a local TV personality, has died of cancer, leaving him with a four-year-old son and incapable of dealing with a second cancer death. And he recognizes this. "Heartless, we call oncologists who abandon the patients they can't save. Cowards, we say of husbands who flee rather than see their wives suffer." (italics hers, page 223) But the labels don't change the reality. And there are moments when I look at my Republican husband and appreciate the fact that he has stayed.

2007 appears to have been a good year for short stories. At least Stephen King was able to find several that appealed to me.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!