Finished Homo Domesticus last night, by David Valdes Greenwood.

I hate relationship books, never touch 'em. I generally find them just too... well, too. But when I saw this one in the library, I had to pick it up. Why? Because David Valdes Greenwood's husband's name is Jason.

I wanted this book to be the story of a happy marriage. The fairly boring story of a typical happy marriage.

Yay for David and Jason - they are happy. They are normal. They are gay. (They're even, at times, a little boring.)

The two were married in a non-state-recognized church wedding 10 years before Massachusetts allowed them to marry legally (which they did, in 2005.) This is a long-term relationship - not perfect, but lasting pretty well so far. At least adoption agencies agree; they have recently become the fathers of a little girl.

David is a playwright and occasional college lecturer; Jason is a children's speech therapist.

I think the more we are able to see that the world of gay marriage is pretty much like the world of straight marriage, the more acceptable it will become. There's nothing particularly noticeable about this book which is, of course, why it's so wonderfully noticeable.

(And no heterosexual divorces have been attributed, to my knowledge, to the publication of this book.)

A quick, easy read, and kind of fun.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad