Some authors can make history or political writing come alive, jump off the pages—so to speak. Judging by Friendly Facism, Bertram Gross is not one of those writers.

I was turned off first when I noted that the copyright date of Friendly Fascism was 1980. 1980? Dang, George W. wasn't even on the scene yet. How fascist could things be? Still, dutiful reader that I am, I started the introduction. It had lots of stuff on Reagan that was pretty cool. So I ploughed on into the book, which in the first chapter provided many details about how fascism began in Germany, Italy and Japan. Yawn! But I did notice something that gave me hope. Some previous reader had highlighted passages in green, and another had underlined. I saw an easy way out. I'd read the marked passages and, at least, grasp the major points in the book. Sadly enough, the last green section appeared on page 52, the last underlining on page 72. I figured that was where the previous readers had given up, so I did, too.

Last edited by humphreysmar; 05/08/08 04:19 PM.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!