Martha would not have read even 50 pages of Nevada Barr's "Winter Study." I'm wondering why I did.

O.K. I have reasons. Nevada Barr writes informative books about National Parks.

I was off to a rocky start when I realized that this was a revisit to Isle Royale. Her very first novel had IRNP as its setting.

The foreward of the book is by a very real person, Rolf Peterson, who I believe takes part is a study of wolf patterns. Since Isle Royale is an island, the wolf population was started by a single pair of wolves who crossed an ice bridge when the lake to shore used to freeze over. This hasn't happened in many years so the study of the wolf packs on the island is a closed study.

I who like descriptive passages couldn't take the amount of descriptive passages in this book, yet out of loyalty to the author I trudged on until the last hundred pages. Even the puzzle by then wasn't a great enough pull to draw me to the end. I gave up and read the last chapter which wrapped up everything nice enough for me.

I'll hope my National Park author gets back into her stride and delivers another good book in the future. This one goes to the book sale at Charlotte Drive Library.

Respectfully,

Kathy Albers

Where ever you go, there you are!