It scares me that I've given up on two books in a row, but that's what has happened. I can't remember where I first heard of Neil Jordan's Shade, but it and I didn't come close to meshing. Now the beginning is great. A woman who is being murdered becomes the narrator of the story. Cool. Then there's a flashback, and it appears the book will cover from when the murderer and murderee first meet to the time of the murder. Maybe that happens, maybe not. I'll never know 'cause I found Jordan's style to be horrendous. Perhaps I should adopt a guideline: If the word "lyrical" appears anywhere is a book's review or description, walk away (so to speak). Immediately. Do not pass go, etc.

At least I'm feeling save about the one I started this morning. It includes the winners in the 2007 Writer's Digest competition. Some of the essays, short stories and selections from plays and YA novels probably won't appeal that much, but—mercifully—they'll all be short.

Last edited by humphreysmar; 05/11/08 05:28 PM.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!