As frequently happens, Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods came into the house in spite of my best intentions. You see, a friend had taken me to Costco and I immediately headed for the book area, figuring I'd more likely find something of interest there than in appliances or cereal. Sadly, that wasn't to be because Costco stacks books in piles high enough to be seen easily by people who walk. People in wheelchairs need not bother looking. But that was okay. My shelf of un-reads was full; I didn't need another book. I had shrugged and driven off when my friend called me back. She was holding up a paperback book. "Screamingly funny," she said. "You have to read it." No, I don't, I wanted to say but, manners above everything, I took the book she held out to me. "Um," I said, glancing at the cover and reaching up to put it back on its stack, the top of which I couldn't quite reach. "No," she said. "Buy it. You'll love it. Really." Doomed, I thought. Stuck with a book my friend loved. Trying not to think about what the height of the stack said about the book's appeal to others, I smiled and bought the book.

So now I've read it and am happy to report it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. It was funny. The author, Bryson, has decided to hike the entire Appalachian Trail and begins reading about what to expect. Black bears, he soon learns, are among those things. But the material stresses how rare attacks are, and Bryson ends the bear section with: "And how foolish one must be to be reassured by the information that no bear has killed a human in Vermont or New Hampshire for 200 years? That's not because the bears have signed a treaty, you know. There's nothing to say they won't start a modest rampage tomorrow." (page 17) The idea amused me.

Amusement faded when he moved away from humor and discussed geology and the natural history of the Appalachian Trail. But what the heck? It's probably stuff I should have learned in eighth-grade science. Better late than never.

Finally, I'm happy to report A Walk in the Woods only added three books to my want-to-read list. There's a passing reference to Dickey's Deliverance which I sense I should read. Any suggestions there? Should I? And the book's back cover lists that Bryson has written two books on language. Wouldn't mind giving him another try in that field. All in all, I'd say A Walk in the Woods was a moderate success. Guess I'm sorta glad its stack was as tall as it was.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!