“But one had to be careful," Mma Ramotswe reminded herself: "one should not ask for too many things in this life, especially when one already had so much.” Pg 214

“There had been a miracle at Speedy Motors while he (Mr. J.L.B. Matekoni) was away.” Pg. 210

Anyone who has not read Alexander McCall Smith’s series of novels, The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency, has missed a treat that can uplift beyond measure.

africa
africa africa
africa africa africa
africa africa
africa

And so the book, The Miracle at Speedy Motors ends.

Precious Ramotswe, a woman who is traditionally built, moved from her village into the town of Gaborone, Botswana. She purchased a tiny white van from the sale of some of her late father’s cattle and after reading a single book about detection work by Clovis Anderson, hung out a sign: The No. 1 Ladies’ Detective Agency.

Mma Ramotswe is as much an oracle as Benjamin Franklin’s “Poor Richard.” The author of the series, Alexander McCall Smith, has created stories that are so descriptive one can feel the dry dust of the bush country, and then glory in the rare rains that bring forth the melons that are so enjoyed and treasured.

His books in this series, now numbering nine, tell stories as full of twists and turns as any modern mystery while imparting the wisdom of a James Herriott.

I think The Miracle At Speedy Motors is one of the best of these books. It can stand alone but to appreciate the weaving of the tapestry that is the beauty of these books, one should start from the beginning. Oddly in quoting the tidbits that I marked that touched my soul, I started from the back of this book.

These quotes from the book are listed below with pages noted.

“You get used to it. You can get used to anything. She had not intended to say that and was only afterwards that she realized that Motholei ….might have taken it badly.” Pg 212

“And across which a bird of prey was describing huge, lazy circles, she thought it was strange that at a moment like this one should notice such things.” Pg 206

“Yes, there is something that made her do it.” Mma Ramotswe said, “It is called envy, and it can make people do very strange things………And that is why we must answer her hatred with love. I can’t say whether it will change her in her heart – it probably won’t. But if it makes her feel even just a little bit better about herself, she will be less envious.”

“I think you’re probably right, Mma…..You usually are in these matters….But I wish that you were wrong. Which you aren’t. But I still wish it.” Pg 204-205

“The seed of the lie had sprouted quickly, like a ground vine suddenly sending out its shoots after the first rain. So untruth grows, thought Mma ramotswe; so easily, so easily.” Pg 142

“There were so many decisions we made that at the time seemed very minor matters, but that could change the whole shape of our lives.” Pg 102

We do make decisions in haste on minor matters that can change our whole lives. Seeds of a lie sprout quickly and envy does cause people to perform in odd ways, but the answer is always to respond with love; love not to be confused with justice. And we can get used to almost anything, sometimes we don’t want to do it, but it is possible, and one should not ask for too many things in this life, especially when one already had so much.

Where ever you go, there you are!