I really liked David Mizner's second book, Hartselle USA, liked it enough that I have now read his first book, Political Animal, which did contain a few made-me-go-hmmm moments. Specifically:

1) "… nothing ruins sexual tension like sex." (page 17) Wanna bet Mizner was a Cheer's fan—at least for awhile.

2) Mizner's narrator discusses the recently—in the book recently—reinstated NY death penalty. "We give capital defendants good lawyers and fair trials. Alabama we're not. Yes, we're going to execute people now, but with compassion." (page 36) Ignoring the far-from-kind Alabama reference, the statement definitely appeals to the librul in me.

3) Describing the owner of a sandwich shop: "She's like Julia Roberts playing a beaten-down girl; you cant take her pain seriously." (page 268) Yup. I'm pretty sure he's onto something there.

But mostly after finishing Political Animal, I really liked David Mizner's second book.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!