"The Haj" by Leon Uris is 525 pages of paperback. It is the book I took to Alaska. It is the story of the settlement and establishment of Israel told from the point of view of an Arab. I'm certain the book is historically accurate. My husband loved the book and quotes from it frequently as if it is a reference book. I am more suspicious, not of the facts, but of the slant by the author. The book is enjoyable enough if you like total depression.

Through the struggles of the eyes of the Arabic family of focus and through their relationship with members of the nearby Kibbutz, I had a feeling of hope for the outcome of the characters. When I was about 1/2 finished reading, I turned to the last chapter.

If you read the book, do not do that. That's all I'll say about that. To write more observations would be a spoiler.

At page 420 I stopped reading with a feeling of total hopelessness for any resolution to regional conflict EVER. The book was written in 1984 but the tribal warfare described could be yesterday's headlines. Uris' premise is that the Arabs have more to fear from each other than they do from the infidels, primarily the Jewish people, but also any supporters of the Jewish people.

The British come across in the book as double dealing, double crossing, promising both sides of the settlement issues things that cannot be delivered.

No, I don't think I can or will finish this book.

Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!