Martha, I have too many books on my shelf. How can I add Rose Madder? Your review wants me to put it on "the list."

4) Rosie thinks about how Norman always refers to prostitutes as gals. "She had never realized until this moment how much she had hated that back-of-the-throat word. Gals. Like a sound you might make when you were trying hard not to vomit." (page 141) I'll never hear or read gal again without thinking of that. Or, at a minimum, clearing my throat.

I have always HATED it when anyone calls women either gals or girls. Now I have a retort. "What a back of the throat word!"

Rosie is thinking about troubles she had when she first arrived in the really big city. "These recollections possessed her mind wholly for a little while, as only our worst recollections can." (page 86) Yeah, Powers-That-Be, why can't the good memories haunt us like that? Or maybe, for people with no self doubts, people like John McCain or George W. Bush, the good memories do.

I never waste time on bad memories. I replay the good times over and over as I would a favorite musical recording -- sometimes the memories even have musical accompanyment! Just call me Scarlet!

Crazy Norman is kicking in the door to Rosie's room.

Could this be a salute to Hitchcock's Psycho?

and finally

Or, for a more academic comparison, Perry Miller, a writer on Colonial literature, actually footnoting himself.

My husband has actually footnoted his previous works himself in reports. He has always been quite amused with himself when he does that!

Excuse me, I think I'll try to find a picture I can walk into. I have a few down in my Alabama Football room!

Kathy

Where ever you go, there you are!