I didn't really get into Leslie Jordan's My Trip Down the Pink Carpet until I realized who Leslie Jordan was. He apparently made a big splash in Will and Grace. Couldn’t prove it by me. I was so turned off by one of its commercials when it first came on that I refused ever to watch it. At the same time, though, there was this weird little actor who I really liked. One of those I've-seen-him-somewhere-before-but-where guys. Then he mentioned a recurring role on The Practice, there was a picture, and I remembered. Cool book. Sweet.

Qualifying moments:

1) "She was Atlanta's version of Edie Sedgwick." (page 53) Interesting concept. The South produces Edie Sedgewicks—although I never thought about it before. Many of them show up as secondary characters in Tennessee William's plays.

2) "In the South we do not put crazy people away—we put them out on the porch where everyone can enjoy them!" (page 87) I'm so glad I came south before I morphed into what I've become. Kathy, however, is the real southern thing. (It's a compliment, Kathy.)

3) Leslie observes men; no one is exempt. "Not construction workers, policemen, lawyers, weathermen on TV, school principals, coaches, NASCAR drivers, four-star generals, other military men, a U.S. president or two (excluding Bush Jr.—never thought about it could care less), English heirs to the throne, all male actors except Tom Cruise (whose religious fervor bugs me), mayors (especially those from San Francisco), and certainly no man who dares to venture out in those tight bicycle shorts. They are really asking for it!" (page 161)

It's a fun book. A lot like reading David Sedaris.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!