Sudden realization: I like this thread. In the real world--and on our "front page"--everything's scary: the economy, the presidential election, my nagging fear that McCain is gonna win, but here we talk about things we like. Or even if we don't all like the same books, it doesn't mean worlds are going to fall apart. Okay, maybe we're hiding our heads in the sand, but everyone needs "A Clean, Well-Lighted Place" sometimes. Why the capitals and quoes? It's a Hemmingway story that if you haven't read, you should--even if you don't like Hemmingway.

Martha, I like this thread too. It is a safe place.

I agree also about Doctorow. I "liked" Ragtime but never made the 50 page limit on any of the other books. Several are in my library on the "one day" shelf. When am I going to realize that on this ten-year plan of mine (I don't plan to be around in ten years) that the "to do" list should be eliminated?

My massage therapist and friend gave me a book that I am reading now entitled, "The Dark Side of the Light Chasers." It's only about 175 pages long and I'll probably finish it.

But after reading 1/2 the book I'd say, "Damn, in spite of all the stuff that has passed through my life, I'm pretty mentally healthy."

It is only when we have the courage to face things exactly as they are, without any self-deception or illusion, that a light will develop out of events, by which the path to success may be recognized. -- I Ching
really!

I believe in living a life of utter visibility. That means complete transparency. Nothing hidden. nothing denied.

Well damn, I've been doing something right all these years after all!

Reading this book and working through the exercises is supposed to be called "shadow work," and it should reclaim your power, creativity, brilliance, and dreams.

Except for the 'dreams' part, I've got it 'in the vault.'

If anyone has read any of Debbie Ford's work or has comments on this "therapy," I'd appreciate feedback.

Respectfully,

Kathy Albers

Where ever you go, there you are!