I have now finished my second James Lee Burke novel. Entitled A Morning for Flamingos, it's another mystery featuring Detective Dave Robicheaux. (Actually, Robicheaux is undercover in this one, and I think he'll soon be off the force—like Laurence Bloch's Matthew Scudder.) (Hey, they're both off-the-force detectives, turned PIs, and recovering alcoholics. Do I see a comparison study coming on?)

Anyway, basic reactions to Flamingoes: 1) I don't think I'm going to fall in love with this series like I did Ed McBain's 87th precinct novels. So far I've seen no signs of an Ed McBain wit, a grievous lack, IMHO. But I'm willing to keep reading. 2) For me, Flamingoes was a bit too long. I stayed interested in the slew of offbeat characters Burke presented, but by the time he reached the end and revealed what happened to two characters, it was a minute before I remembered they were the central characters at the book's beginning. I felt somehow cheated. 3) Burke is far too descriptive for me. I don't care what a character is wearing every time he comes on stage, and if that degree of attention to such trivia is what constitutes good writing, I'll never achieve it.

I did dog-ear a few pages. Let's see.

1) A character says, "Sometimes I make up a picnic basket, and Paul and me spend the night down here." (page 265) Now the character speaking is a New Orleans don who prides himself on his behavior and manners. Miss Picky doubts he would say, "Paul and me spend …" But she could be wrong.

2) On page 268: "You dideed out on us." Dideed? I think Burke used it another time, but I can't find it. Anyone ever run into the term? It's not in the online Heritage dictionary. The characters were talking about Vietnam related stuff.

3) "Clete pushed the door back on its springs and stepped into the room like an elephant entering a phone booth." (page 276) Not a bad analogy. Indeed, almost witty.

4) About the setting: "It's still winter, but we treat winter in South Louisiana as a transitory accident." (page 318) I like that one. Downright witty—IMHO.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!