Gees! Takes a strong stomach to read your way through Steve Johnson's The Ghost Map, a tale of the outbreak of cholera in 1850's London.. Should I assume all of you know how human waste was dealt with at that time in history? I'd never given it much thought, but The Ghost Map told me way more than I ever wanted to know. Let's just say movies about those years never show what the streets really looked like. And thank heavens smell-o-rama never materialized. What a misguided idea that would have been.

But back to the book: It was interesting. This burst of cholera led to scientists determining that that the disease was contracted through water instead of air—although it took many more years to convince the public. Then that discovery, over time, led to underground sewage systems, water purification, indoor plumbing, and finally Joe, the plumber, being able to purchase a company that may or may not make over $250,000 a year.

Onto the dog-eared pages:

Nah. Nothing I really want to go into. Johnson does, however, have some interesting theories: 1) in a view of the world from space, the shape of cities—defined by their lights—is remarkably similar to the shape of bacteria found in cholera-infested water and 2) a minor act such as the removal of the pump handle from the Broad Street Pump in 1850's London can have an ever greater long-term effect than, say, the killing of a king.

The Ghost Map did add one book to my list, specifically Charles Dickens's Bleak House. Here's hoping I already have it.

And, oh yeah, do I recommend The Ghost Map? Sure. If nothing else, it'll make you appreciate indoor plumbing and waste management. Never again will I take them for granted I such a casual manner.

Currently reading: Best American Mystery Stories edited by Lee Child and Otto Penzler. AARGH!