Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Congratulations, Jeff. It is that kind of revelation that will someday get this nation past its obsession over gay marriage and really, gay people in general.

Well, I didn't really have any obsession over it, really.
The way I see it is like this:

Look, marriage is a contract between four parties, two spouses, a church and the state, but first and foremost it has always historically been a church sacrament. I mean, that's what it was first, before the state ever entered into it.

So, regardless of whatever the church folks feel, one can understand why some of them might feel that this is an attack on their holy rites. After all, if a "Bible believing" church (whatever that is, I thought all Christian churches believed the Bible) centers their philosophy on the marriage of a man and a woman, having gay marriage enter into it will cause a fight.

I think what's going to have to happen is the state is going to have to declare that the civil side of marriage is the only one that counts, and the church side is ceremonial and spiritual only.

And, in a sense this has already happened.
For 35 bucks I can get a piece of paper that says I am empowered to perform marriages.
Why aren't the churchies getting all upset over people performing marriages on top of speeding airplanes, underwater, in the municipal zoo, on top of landfills, inside hash bars in Amsterdam?
Where's the holy aspect of that?
And, look at some of the Hollywood marriages over the years.
You want a mockery of the sacred institution of marriage, there you go.
So, in essence the state has already shown that it is the civil side of the union that counts, and what the f**k does the state care if the couple is a man and a woman?

And, it turns out, as Keith Olbermann and many others have pointed out, it doesn't matter. But in reality it does...it matters to lot of people who think it's their business to inject the church into what is, for all practical and legal purposes, a state contract.
The churchies should have started getting up in arms when folks started getting married at the circus or something.
If they cared so much about defiling the sacred institution, then where were they when it was being performed under the Big Top amongst elephant droppings?

So this is going to wind up going to the Supreme Court.
I think it will ultimately win.
I don't think that will change things much, it will be a lot like the South after the Feds forced the states to abandon their Jim Crow laws. A lot of prejudice will still exist.

But not from me. I just don't see the point.
People should be allowed to be happy, and it's none of anyone's business if a married couple is gay or straight.

"The Best of the Leon Russell Festivals" DVD
deepfreezefilms.com