Two things.

Participating in the protest on Saturday, with my son who is fervently involved and as shocked as I.

Second, I read the article from Jasmyne A. Cannick in the LA Times, and if she is truly a black activist, and truly a lesbian, she is even more ignorant and dangerous than the bulk of the populace. Here is someone who should understand that it is not particular rights or particular communities that matter, it is the concept that any group or any right can be denied simply based on their status. There is a real perversion here that is saddening to me. She notes that the civil rights movement was tied to the church, which is true, but ignores the fundamental christian precept that Jesus taught - "what is done to the least of God's children is done to me." Jesus did not teach intolerance, yet this is a mindset that trips willingly down that road because "THEY" are "Less Worthy" of protection than I am.
"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
Martin Niemöller (1892–1984)

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich