Here's what Jasmyne Cannick wrote on the subject five months ago: Jasmyne Cannick Doesn't Give a Fig About Gay Marriage

[The leaders of the gay marriage movement] forged ahead on the backs of the Black civil rights movement without ever instituting any of its core principles. So when Black ministers popped up on those same national television shows and in those same articles condemning the gay rights movement, Blacks were immediately labeled homophobic.

[SNIP]

I’d take my chances with homophobic Blacks rather than racist gays anytime . . .

[SNIP]

. . . there are gays and lesbians trying to figure out how to rob Peter to pay Paul, squeeze blood out of a turnip, and make money grow from trees . . . . What they see are images of wealthy white men and women to which they connect to a group of white people who used the 1960s civil rights movement as a blueprint to spearhead their own.
A little more insight into her position, which I take it is not in favor of Prop 8, but in favor of understanding why so many Blacks are in favor of Prop 8. I see that distinction. And as Ms. Cannick says:
. . . while I am a lesbian, I oftentimes have more in common with my heterosexual sista than I do with my white counterparts . . .
I don't agree that Ms. Cannick is "even more ignorant and dangerous than the bulk of the populace". I think she has thought these things through as deeply and personally as anyone who is stridently opposed to Prop 8. I may not agree with her position (I don't), but I think it's wrong to disparage her as "ignorant" because she holds it.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)