Originally Posted by Jeffro
I personally think that groups like this one, mayor of SF and the lesbian couple inviting the 1st graders to their ceremony are doing a good enough job turning people against gay marriage than black people... but hell, what do I know.

I find the behavior of this particular group despicable. There are nuts in every community. But it is certainly easier to paint all by the actions of a few.

The mayor of SF stood up and said EXACTLY what needed to be said. He said homosexuals are equal to heterosexuals - the idea that that would drive people away from supporting gay marriage does not reflect poorly on homosexuals but rather the people who would be driven away at the thought of equality.

The lesbian couple did NOT invite the children from the charter school to their wedding. It was a surprise for their teacher. The children and their parents arranged the whole thing (there were even two children unable to attend because their parents did not sign the permission slip). The "Yes on 8" campaign then used the video of these children at the wedding - repeatedly - AGAINST THE PARENTS WISHES for their smear campaign full of lies.

Again, if the images of happy children celebrating their teacher getting married turns people against gays having equal rights, the problem is from the people already predisposed to think of gays as lesser citizens.

Jeffro,

I'm sure that you know that it's not what you do but how you do it. For 3 months I watched the same video clip of SF mayor saying "Wether you like it or not" to gay marriage, something that doesn't play well. I'm sure his heart was in the right place, but his words did a lot of damage.

As far as the school class, the supporters of "no on 8" (which I'm sure that most of them that organized the thing were) should have been a bit brighter and not make it an organized thing as a class because anyone could have seen the "yes on 8" supporters use it.

I see it that if you give people the right to vote on an issue, they have to vote how they see fit according to their values. If this is a civil rights issue the courts should deal with it. Why didn't the "no on 8" people manage to get the measure off the balot if it is unconstitutional?

A gem cannot be polished without friction, nor a man perfected without trials. ~Chinese Proverb

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese. ~Jon Hammond