Originally Posted by olyve
Originally Posted by kap17
As far as the school class, the supporters of "no on 8" (which I'm sure that most of them that organized the thing were) should have been a bit brighter and not make it an organized thing as a class because anyone could have seen the "yes on 8" supporters use it.
I disagree, Kap.
My guess is these parents think it is important for their children to grow up knowing that the union between two people in love regardless of their gender is normal and beautiful.

I understand what you're saying...that they then had it used against them but I still think the bigger lesson for their children was more important.
I think the "no on 8" folks need to pull the facts out on this and use it back at them. Big time.

"Yes on 8" used this unfortunately timed event for all it was worth. The 'Yes on 8' commercials were flooded with children saying things like "I learned that a man can marry another man The reality is, if same sex marriage is legal (as it was when the ads were running)then a man CAN marry another man. Is it better to lie to the kiddies? This same little girl then says "one day I can marry a Princess" so something tells me that this parent is going to have this conversation somewhere down the road anyway wink

Ironically, these ads prompted two children of women I work with to ask their parents about gay marriage - in both cases, the children were confused about why anyone would try to stop people from getting married. And in one case, "why would we even vote for that?"

From the mouths of babes, eh? Honestly, kids don't care. I have six nieces and nephews and none of them give a damn about who I date as long as they get their Christmas money.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau