Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
I looked further for the analysis of votes and found this:
CNN
It was so good of you to do that. Now if you looked at all on page 2 of the data, you would have found the reference I offered earlier indicating that 90% of those who identified as "no religion" voted NO to Prop 8. And you would have found that 83% of those who reported that they never attend church voted NO on Prop 8. On the other hand, as you indicated, 82% of those who reported attending church every week voted YES on Prop 8.

[quote=Phil Hoskins]Nevertheless, everyone seems to agree on the vote in the black community. Ms. Cannick attempts to explain that, but to me it completely misses the point I tried to make to start this thread.
Of course it does. She wasn't trying to make your point. She had her own axe to grind.

The media seem fixated on promulgating the myth that opposition to same-gender marriage is somehow connected to race, but the data show that it is connected to church attendance. And it happens that among Blacks and Hispanics, church attendance is much more prevalent than among Whites. Is that a racial characteristic? I think not.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)