Originally Posted by stereoman
Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
I looked further for the analysis of votes and found this:
CNN
It was so good of you to do that. Now if you looked at all on page 2 of the data, you would have found the reference I offered earlier indicating that 90% of those who identified as "no religion" voted NO to Prop 8. And you would have found that 83% of those who reported that they never attend church voted NO on Prop 8. On the other hand, as you indicated, 82% of those who reported attending church every week voted YES on Prop 8.

[quote=Phil Hoskins]Nevertheless, everyone seems to agree on the vote in the black community. Ms. Cannick attempts to explain that, but to me it completely misses the point I tried to make to start this thread.
Of course it does. She wasn't trying to make your point. She had her own axe to grind.

The media seem fixated on promulgating the myth that opposition to same-gender marriage is somehow connected to race, but the data show that it is connected to church attendance. And it happens that among Blacks and Hispanics, church attendance is much more prevalent than among Whites. Is that a racial characteristic? I think not.

Steve, it may not be a racial characteristic but, in my experience, it is certainly a cultural characteristic. I honestly do not like the way the race thing is being played up. It came as no surprise to me that African Americans and Latinos would vote for this change to our Constitution.

The fact is that religion is the root of all of this. Whether it be Catholic, Mormon, Baptist, etc. It is religion that fouled the waters. This is absolutely not a race issue, even though within the African American and Latino communities, religion is an important component. I don't think that can be argued, but I personally do not know any atheists in those communities (even the gay ones).

I can say that with confidence because I know the objections to gays in general always come from the religious. They can discard everything that directly affects them from their holy books, but they cannot let go of the gay thing.

I remember, years ago, reading that when straight people heard that someone was gay, all they could imagine was that person having sex and it was icky to them. This comes as no surprise since our minority status is based solely on our sexual orientation. You can't say "gay" without some mental image that includes sexuality.

I believe that this writer has placed race above sexuality. She really does seem to have an axe to grind but rather than an overall complaint, I believe her complaint is specific to her feelings about the gay community. And it is valid. I have always been surprised at the racism I have experienced within the community. Never mind the rest of society, I have heard many racist remarks within the sometimes insular world we inhabit. I have never understood it and have fought it when it has come before me. I believe her perspective is colored by this.

I firmly believe that religion is the enemy of any advancement in our society. I am open to arguments about the good religions have done, but in this case, I can guarantee that nothing will persuade me from this position.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau