Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
My date with Mr. eHarmony Rebecca Traister, Salon.com
Thank you for this link NW. I actually found it interesting and (like the interviewer, not completely what I expected) I did notice that the interview took place in 2005.

From a gay perspective (because, well, that's a perspective I have), I found a lot of Warren's statements to be very accepting and his proclamations like:
"I've begun saying to our people that we've got to reach every person on earth," he said. "These Iraqis who keep getting killed every day, they are just as valuable as the GIs getting killed."
to be very compassionate and genuine yet he stopped short of gays and lesbians in his 'everyone on earth' statement.

Even though in 2005 he said
Warren brought up his best friend's daughter, a lesbian who has two children with her partner. "She's a dear person to us, and a very strong spiritual person," he said. "And when I start seeing things like that, I think we've got to start to think about that maybe this can work."
Which sounds good until you remember that he just said
"It's just not an easy point! We've got thousands of years of history of the human race in which this was never treated as a marriage and there are a lot of people who think it's just not going to have the same kind of stability over time.
It all goes to hell. When I think of American marriage, stability is not the first word that comes to mind. I think of multiple marriages and quickie divorces. I fail to see the disconnect people like Warren have when they know that there are people who are fighting for that simple right.

Though I doubt I will ever get married, I can see clearly a community that desires, in all their hearts, to have that simple right.

Warren seems introspective and perceptive in relationships, the fact that he has a lesbian friend, with a partner and children and STILL can't support that, is an enormous flaw in his character.

I'm pleased his company will now have a gay alternative to his site even if it contains the disclaimer that these tests were created for straight people.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau