Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
The biggest negative recurring point in the poll: People over 65 still think there is a connection between homosexuality and pedophilia. When it comes to both elementary school teachers and adoption, they are not so comfortable with gay people having responsibility over children.

Other than that, I find most of it very encouraging. It looks like we could even get a federal recognition of same-sex civil unions with all rights of heterosexual marriages. It's not

Bow Bow Bow Marriage Bow Bow Bow

but it's quite worthwhile persuing.

I hate to rain on the Bow parade but it is still not equality if they are called different things. In some ways, I wish I cared about the word marriage that is so staunchly defended, from a 'gettin'-ready-to-walk-down-the-aisle' standpoint. But, the fact remains that, if there are two different NAMES, they are not the same thing, it all boils down to "separate but equal". Go tell African Americans that "Jumping The Broom" is equality...

I would be okay if ALL marriages in our society were to be called "civil unions" and marriage was limited to the religious who so love the word. But, if you aren't calling it all the same thing, it ain't equal.

It is encouraging, but it would still be a different thing, wouldn't it? The government would still have to come up with new forms and stuff, right?

I suppose I should be happy and grateful for what I can get from my fellow citizens and humans from the Country of my birth, but, for some reason, I'm just not.

Last edited by Jeffro; 12/06/08 05:12 AM.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau