I used to be fine with the idea of "whatever we can get would be great" any advancement is a positive. Win enough small battles and then we can win the war.
But the poll numbers say that there is enough support to win everything, every single right that straight married people have, right now... but that last little bit. Which as you claim, is just ignored by so many in the gay community because they already refer to themselves as "married".

Win the 99% now and the remaining 1% left will whither and dissappear as the language and culture evolve to handle talking about couples in civil unions: As such unions become more common and more discussed, people will avoid the clumsiness of "they are in a civil union" and just use the word "married".

As for "gay avenger" mode, I know what you mean. Right after the election I entertained some intense revenge fantasies. And I am 100% behind the effort to rescind the tax exempt status of "religious groups" that have violated the IRS requirements limiting lobbying.