Thanks for your reply, Ron, and your very thorough review of the questions that have been raised. I think you have offered support for the idea that the Bible should not be taken out of the context of its times, and you have offered some good insight into what those "times" were. For example, your explanation of the various prohibitions in Leviticus that the vast majority of modern Christians do not in fact adhere to any more:
Originally Posted by Ron G.
Many of the prohibitions were directed at preserving the identity of the [Jewish | Hebrew | Israelite] culture in a world where it was a small and weak nation among many larger powers, a method of avoiding what we might now call assimilation or even cultural genocide.
Obviously some modern Jews still carry that concern, but for the most part embrace the idea of ethnic assimilation as being independent of and perhaps even advantageous to the preservation of religious heritage. Acknowledging that you have here very well rationalized the "cafeteria menu" approach as you call it, on one basis, why would it not be equally reasonable to rationalize it on other bases as well? It would appear to me that modern Christians would make their "menu selections" for other reasons besides prevention of ethnic dissipation.

I appreciate the distinction you make between Jesus' teachings to his disciples versus his teachings to the general public, and unite with it. Just because we have no reference to Jesus ever having extolled marriage doesn't mean that it should be abolished as a religious ritual. Nor, conversely, should we base a decision on whether slavery is an abhorrent practice on the fact that we have no reference to Jesus ever having condemned it. These, again, are discernments of Divine truth that have come about independently of, and subsequent to, Jesus' sojourn on the Earth. They amplify the point being made by the author, IMHO, that the evolution of spiritual practice did not end with the Council of Nicea, and most Christians I think would readily agree with that.

I have little doubt that, over time, more and more Christians will evolve in their spiritual beliefs regarding gay and lesbian people, and come to recognize that all people, regardless of sexual orientation, gender presentation or gender identity, are equally endowed with the Divine Light, and as such should be welcome within their spiritual communities, to enjoy their fellowship and share in their spiritual life, including rites of passage such as baptism, confirmation, communion, and marriage.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)