Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
Then, Ron, why honor what I still say are questionable interpretations of biblical prohibitions of gay marriage/sex?
Actually, they are not at all questionable. The Levite law is rather uncompromising, and nothing in the NT changes that - and that's why I think, as originally stated, it is foolish and fruitless to argue from the text of either the OT or the NT that homosexual unions are somehow okay.

Certainly I see nothing in the NT, other than Paul's questionable statements, to support such a ban. Or am I misreading you?
To repeat what I wrote elsewhere: Jesus said that he came to fulfill the law, not to destroy it - that would include the Levite restrictions on sexual conduct as well, would it not? He also stated that not a jot or tittle of the law would be changed before the Day of Judgment; thus, you get no literal help from Jesus in okaying it. Hence, my continued insistence that to try and generally argue it from scripture is a more or less hopeless task.

Again, please understand that my argument is solely on the point of trying to justify on the basis of text from the Bible.

Life should be led like a cavalry charge - Theodore Roosevelt