Originally Posted by Phil Hoskins
What this will take is straight people talking to their friends about human rights and the separation of church and state. You folks are more likely to have access to those who are willing to listen than most gay people are. You have their trust and confidence so when you say something, it may get listened to.

The civil rights movement may have been led and inspired by Rev. King and other black men and women, but it gained power when whites joined them and used their influence and power.
Since, presumably, heterosexuality is the predominant condition, say, 90% of the population (rough guess, that), it follows that it will take a majority of the majority to win this issue. I would be willing to bet that if the vote were held today, the result would be different. I, for one, am a strong, vocal, and insistent advocate for full equality, including full equality based upon sexual orientation. I am also a strong proponent of separation of church and state. Unfortunately, I am not a California voter.

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich