Originally Posted by kap17
I think Obama is showing that you can disagree with the views of a person and still work together with that person for the good of everyone.
I don't think anyone can possibly show that, for the simple reason that it's absolutely impossible to work together for anything that is "for the good of everyone". In a country as big and diverse as ours, nothing is "for the good of everyone".

Now let's get on the Wayback Machine here and see if we can recall another instance where Mr. Obama dared to appear with Pastor Rick, shall we? Let's remind ourselves of what Mr. Obama had to say on that occasion about Proposition 8:
When asked to define marriage, he told Warren, "It's a union between a man and a woman."

"For me as a Christian, it is a sacred union. God's in the mix," he said.
Why, then, is there such an outrage about Obama picking his friend Pastor Rick, who refused to condemn Obama from the pulpit unlike so many of his fellow "men of the cloth", when Obama's own opposition to same-gender marriage should have been clear all along? Why wasn't the outrage directed at Obama when it counted? I would suggest that those who threw their whole-hearted support behind Obama in the election should instead examine their own hearts, and look at their own hypocrisy, or ignorance in the case of those who did not listen or were not listening when Obama made his position clear all those months ago.

Obama's supporters should have known what they were getting when they were out there campaigning for his election. They should have known they were getting a candidate whose own convictions would have led him to vote YES on Proposition 8.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)