Wow, lots to catch up on. Briefly:
1) California Supreme Court could not act prior to passage of Prop 8. Now they can, and will.
2) I don't like invocations at public events either, but it is traditional.
3) Rick Warren may be one of the most reasonable of the evangelicals and agrees with many of the other policies that Obama supports, including the environment, etc.
4) It is not, as Steve pointed out, inconsistent with Obama's views previously expressed.
5) I don't like "one issue" voters or campaigns, nor does the President-elect, so condemning Obama over one issue is inconsistent with his previously expressed message.
6) GLBT leaders can be upset and express that, and I kind of like Obama's response.
7) Obama is the first President to appoint an openly-gay individual to a top post. First openly LGBT person named to Obama's cabinet Which action is more important - appointing someone who will serve for years, or allowing someone to make a 2 minute invocation?

A well reasoned argument is like a diamond: impervious to corruption and crystal clear - and infinitely rarer.

Here, as elsewhere, people are outraged at what feels like a rigged game -- an economy that won't respond, a democracy that won't listen, and a financial sector that holds all the cards. - Robert Reich