Originally Posted by stereoman
This editorial at anti-war dot com very well speaks my mind on the Rick Warren controversy.

Hey Steve, I agree with most of the column and I am also confused by the people who feel Obama has somehow betrayed the gay community. He was never in support of gay marriage. I like Barack Obama very much and feel like he really was the best choice but I have never worshipped him like some have.

However, Obama did say he was against Prop 8. Warren is all over Prop 8. This is the problem I have with this choice. I felt punched in the gut on election night and having Warren give the invocation at Obama's inauguration just added to that pain. Like the author, I question having a religious invocation at a government ceremony anyway.

I also don't like the way this is being defended, as if Obama is being fair and balanced by giving voice to all sides of this issue. It reminds me of the people who consider the creationism/evolution debate as valid. One side is based on fact and the other opinion & faith. They are not equal. My being gay is not open for discussion. I am gay. Period. Faith and beliefs should never trump my reality.

I'm sure Rick Warren is a swell guy. He is just dead wrong on this issue.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau