Originally Posted by stereoman
I have not seen it being defended that way. If you have a source or two to demonstrate that point of view, I'd be glad to read them and react with similar revulsion. The defense I am seeing - and which I agree with - is that Mr. Obama is hardly a smidgen less of a Fundamentalist than his predecessor, the primary difference being that he is an adherent to the Social Gospel whereas the self-proclaimed Compassionate Conservative was in fact not.

<snip>

That position being that he intends to keep his religion and his governance separate.

Let's hope so.

Perhaps that was just my interpretation of what I was hearing. Here is one of the Talking Points
• As he's said again and again, the President-elect is committed to bringing together all sides of the faith discussion in search of common ground. That's the only way we'll be able to unite this country with the resolve and common purpose necessary to solve the challenges we face.

Perhaps I jumped to a conclusion because I have no idea what that common ground could possibly be. As long as evangelicals are damning us to hell, refusing to stop calling it a choice, or a 'lifestyle', continuing to slander us as promiscuous, and - top of the list - creating ways to deny us our rights, I cannot see the middle ground. As I said, their side is opinion and scripture based. My side is reality.

Heeere's Rick Let's see, he calls my life a "lifestyle" AGAIN. He supports equal rights for all people in America (?). He is opposed to brothers & sisters, fathers & daughters and gays getting married. Wow. That's not too offensive. He supported Prop 8 as a free speech issue (lying that pastors would be charged with hate speech if it didn't pass).

But... apparently he has actually eaten at a gay persons house, so... that's... something.

This one gets more interesting around the 6 minute mark.
I do give him credit for all he has done for AIDS.

He 'was wired by God' to like women' but doesn't think God wired gay people the way they are. I should actually follow God's plan and not have sex. Apparently, Rick doesn't get STDs because he follows God's rules, I'm not sure why I've never had one.

Rick's endorsement of Prop 8
We should not LET 2% of Americans change the definition of marriage.

At least he's recently come out and said he loves gay (and straight) people!

Things might be really bad if he hated us.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau