Originally Posted by stereoman
If you're focused entirely on the one issue, I can understand how you'd be unable to see where any common ground could possibly be. And I can understand how you'd be focused on that one issue if it's an issue that directly impacts your daily life.
I know you understand this Steve, but try this. Listen to these people talk and everytime they say "gays" replace it in your mind with "Steves". You will immediately internalize just how condescending, presumptious and superior they are. Pastor Rick seems like a nice guy, I don't like him, but he seems more reasonable than a lot of the leaders.

In the Larry King clip, Pastor Rick admits that the evangelicals were dead wrong about AIDS (it's a quibble to point out that it wasn't until he went to Africa and saw the dying women & children). He has become a huge advocate and I applaud him for that.

I suppose it is possible he will come around on the gay marriage thing. Though it took him nearly 30 years to get around to AIDS. I am not going to hold my breath for three decades waiting for his approval when he realizes that he is dead wrong on gay marriage.

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau