Please understand that I am not belittling the point at all, just trying to place some context. And I'm not speaking from a straight point of view so much as I'm speaking from an atheist point of view.

Do any of us remember who did the prayer at Clinton's second inaugural?

Do any of us remember whether a poem was read at either of Bush's inaugurals?

Do any of us remember either of Bush's inaugural speeches?

While I'm not thrilled with Obama's choice, I never listen to the inaugural prayer anyway; I wonder how many do. And even for those who listen closely - I would be stunned if gay rights were mentioned during that prayer (or anything else substantial, for that matter.)

Let's face it - many strict Christians hold positions which are upsetting, or perhaps even offensive, to others. We continue to elect Christian presidents; we will continue to hear Christian prayers. Some would be happier with someone like Joel Osteen. Many of us would be happier with no prayer at all - and that, too, would offend thousands if not millions. But there are not a lot of Christian congregations that have come to grips with gay rights in a positive way. There are some, but they are not the majority. That's the reality. Obama has already dumped one preacher who did not fit the public's idea of "appropriate." Why are we so particular about his preacher?

I don't even know what church Bush attends, if any; I don't know which church Obama will attend, if any. And we're talking about one prayer.

This preacher is not being appointed to a cabinet position. He is saying a prayer at a ceremony that most will watch, but few listen to. Obama's speech will be the only part of the ceremony anyone hears or remembers. I doubt anyone who listens to the prayer will hear anything other than a prayer for the country and its new president.

(added: Tom Daschle, who will be heading Health and Human Services, was supportive of the Defense of Marriage Act as recently as 2004. I would think his current position would be much more of a concern than Preacher Rick's.)

Last edited by Mellowicious; 12/23/08 12:50 PM.

Julia
A 45’s quicker than 409
Betty’s cleaning’ house for the very last time
Betty’s bein’ bad