Originally Posted by Jeffro
Listen to these people talk and everytime they say "gays" replace it in your mind with "Steves". You will immediately internalize just how condescending, presumptious and superior they are.
I'm sure it doesn't compare to how it feels to be gay, or Black, but I've certainly had that experience, and I know what it's like. I grew up in such a household. I still have a close personal relationship like that. Yours is not an easy road to travel, I know that.

Originally Posted by Jeffro
I suppose it is possible he will come around on the gay marriage thing. Though it took him nearly 30 years to get around to AIDS. I am not going to hold my breath for three decades waiting for his approval when he realizes that he is dead wrong on gay marriage.
It took us Quakers a hundred years to realize that we were dead wrong on slavery. It took my Meeting fifty years to realize that it was wrong on same-gender marriage. During those time periods, there were many who chose not to hold their breath. In the end, it isn't merely a question of whether one speaks up or not, it is a question of what one says.

Steve
Give us the wisdom to teach our children to love,
to respect and be kind to one another,
so that we may grow with peace in mind.

(Native American prayer)