Originally Posted by NW Ponderer
Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
That is the fundamental problem I have with the religious extremists: They seem to have no concept of "equality".
I couldn't agree more. Indeed, the very concept of allowing faith to control your life and perceptions is to assume that you are superior to your non-same-believing fellows. You have "the answer" and "the authority" of your chosen text which represents the "word of god." Being of the "chosen" - and god makes many, and often conflicting, choices, apparently - puts you in a different, and superior, status.

I am not saying that all people of faith are blind adherents incapable of rational or compassionate thought, but those that place "the word of god" above the "law of the land," or even rational thought, are pernicious indeed. For all the good that religions and religious fervor can do - I think of Katrina relief - the strings attached to such help can often overwhelm the positives (consider the Spanish Inquisition). We are, in this nation, presently faced with the same oppression that caused our forefathers to flee the lands of their birth, and we are so blind as a population to our own history that we, or at least the majority of us, fail to see it. We have forgotten that the first proscription in the Bill of Rights is "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion." There was a reason for that! It makes me sad, it makes me angry, but that frustration spurs me to action. That may be the only good that comes of it.

Is extremism and unyielding political positions only apparent in the religious community? Is it not prevalent in secular Conservatism and Liberalism as well? All I see is a bunch of people trying to push their own agenda and exert their own control and purport their own self-thought superiority.

Here it seems that President-elect Obama is "reacing across the aisle" to further discussion between two opposing views. This is precisely what he promised. It is what most of us expected in relation to foreign policy, instead of the attack mode so associated with the outgoing administration. It only seems logical to apply it at home first. We would do well, to remeber a quote from one of Barack Obama's speeches:
There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and latino America and asian America - there's the United States of America.

What is more representative of that than his choices for his cabinet and the inauguration ceremonies? We elected him for that, and now some of us are complaining because he is fulling that? confused

milk and Girl Scout cookies ;-)

Save your breath-You may need it to blow up your date.