Originally Posted by pondering_it_all
But now let's segue back onto the thread topic: I think that inducing these same types of feelings will be the key to acceptance of same-sex marriage. It may be lot's of fun to march in a parade with groups of guy's wearing jock straps or leather chaps, with a giant penis float. (And I have nothing aginst celibrating your sexual identity!) But scenes of those events on TV only induce fear in the hearts of Gay Marriage opponents.

If instead LGBT people (and their friends to a lesser extent) can reach out to those who fear them, and help them see that "they are just like me", and deserving of all of life's joys, then we might get somewhere.

This is what I've been saying and practicing all my life. And we have also made much progress...

But, Wow! What gay parades are they broadcasting on your television? That sounds more like the Pride Parades I went to 20 years ago - you know, the fun ones. Before all the corporate sponsorship. I was frankly really surprised and somewhat bored with all the strollers, kids, churches and "straights for gay rights". I'm not complaining - well, maybe a little. The support is wonderful, but it ain't jock straps and penis floats (now available at Baskin-Robbins!). Careful what you wish for, huh? Just to prove my point, here's a couple pics from this year:

[Linked Image from i184.photobucket.com] [Linked Image from i184.photobucket.com][Linked Image from i184.photobucket.com]

We are constantly invited to be who we are. Henry David Thoreau